Thursday 31 January 2008

How to have a pert bum when you're pregnant

One of my growing (excuse the pun) concerns whilst being pregnant was ‘would my bum grow in tandem with my belly’.

I would like to be one of those inspirational mums to be who you can’t tell is pregnant from the back. I’d rather avoid becoming one of the what my husband calls the ‘big arse’ brigade!

So, it was to work on the bottom and I know the best way to a toned butt is to shift it! However, we have to accommodate the growing bump, the needs to live off more than some sprouted leaves and the fact that you can’t get too out of breath in pregnancy.

What is the best way to keep that bottom pert?

I’ve some great exercises for toning and strengthening all parts of the bum whilst you are pregnant. You can do these at any stage of pregnancy. Here’s two of my favourites.
Although the images below show a man, the exercises are perfectly safe in pregnancy - I'm just waiting for images of our pregnant exerciser to be uploaded!

The QHE
This one tones up the outside of your bottom

1. Start by kneeling on all fours.
2. Keeping your hips level bring one leg out to the side. Think of the movement a dog does with a fire hydrant.
3. Maintain your posture and balance and do not lean to the side while doing this exericse. Your back should stay nice and flat.
4. Repeat for the desired repetitions and then repeat with the other side.



Hip Extension with band
This one is the best exercise to tone up the middle of your bottom

1. Start by placing a band around your ankle and face the band.
2. Maintaining your balance kick your leg back while keeping it straight. Only kick back as far as your leg will allow.
3. Remember to squeeze your glute (bum) muscle while performing this exercise.
4. Return to the starting position and repeat for the required repetitions. Repeat with the other leg.


Click here for your complimentary fitness programme 'Shape up your bum'

No comments: